If a customer signs up for a paid subscription plan (Basic or Plus), do you automatically charge the customer's credit card annually?
No, MyOnlineMaps.com will not automatically charge your credit card annually. In order to renew your annual subscription, you will need to request your account to be renewed. There is no long-term committment with MyOnlineMaps.com, and we will never charge your credit card without your authorization. Please note that for security reasons we do not store your credit card information on MyOnlineMaps.com servers.
What are the differences/similarities between MyOnlineMaps.com and mapping software?
MyOnlineMaps.com provides a more affordable option to create maps for the most commonly mapped geographic boundaries (i.e. the U.S., states, regions, and counties) and flexible ways to manipulate the map images. The leading mapping software packages (e.g. ESRI and MapInfo) typically provide more options at a much higher cost and with greater complexity. Like more elaborate and costly mapping programs, MyOnlineMaps.com provides a variety of ways to display data on maps, map color schemes, and data labels. It also generates map images that are easily transferable to PowerPoint presentations and documents.
Who is the target audience for MyOnlineMaps.com? Who could benefit from the site?
MyOnlineMaps.com is designed primarily for professionals and map enthusiasts who want a low-cost, flexible, and easy-to-use tool for generating U.S. state and county maps. Eventually, MyOnlineMaps.com will support countries and regions outside of the U.S. Some specific types of occupations and industries that would benefit from the website include:
- Community and Economic Development. Maps that geographically display economic strengths and weaknesses (e.g. unemployment, education levels of the workforce, types of occupations and industries, etc.) are widely used in state and local economic research and strategic planning activities.
- Education. Many professionals in K-12 and higher education benefit from regional, state and county maps that display education and income levels of residents, population growth and decline, changing diversity, etc. – because they expose the pressures facing the education system in certain regions. Like in economic development, maps such as these are widely used in state and local educational planning activities.
- Healthcare. The ability to geographically characterize the health needs of certain populations is crucial for providing adequate healthcare – e.g. where to locate a new healthcare facility, provide more immunizations to children, provide more services to senior citizens, etc. A variety of data are available to create regional and county maps.
- Corrections. In their research and planning activities, criminal justice professionals often use maps to geographically represent areas with high (or low) rates of violent crime, property crime, arrests, etc.
- State Legislatures. Many legislative analysts utilize maps to assess (geographically) the effectiveness of certain state policies or the potential impact of legislation on certain parts of the state – usually for legislation that targets one of the above industries.
- Corporations. Many corporations have multiple office or branch locations across a geographic region that can be represented by a custom map. For many sales departments within companies, a map that shows sales results by region is a commonly generated report for senior management.
- Grant Writing. The effective use of data and maps to establish local or regional “need” for government or philanthropic support is a critical part of the grant writing process. The mapping capabilities and the data available on MyOnlineMaps.com are very useful tools for preparing most grant proposals.
- Faculty and Students. The mapping capability and data available on the web site are useful to faculty in certain fields for research, grant writing, and as a teaching tool. And for less than the price of many textbooks, students can learn a great deal about geography and the importance of maps in the research process and in many professions.
Why is MyOnlineMaps.com an annual subscription service as opposed to a one-time fee?
As opposed to a traditional software application,
MyOnlineMaps.com is a web-based service that relies on an online
dynamic database and web hosting. The web hosting to support
the data transfer and storage on the site requires that we model
our pricing on a recurring fee basis (as MyOnlineMaps.com is
incurring ongoing fees to host and maintain the system). In
addition to maintenance costs of an online system, the subscription
fee also supports the continual improvement and enhancements
of the system. Software companies traditionally charge an upgrade
fee to upgrade older software to a newer version. MyOnlineMaps.com
does not charge upgrade fees. Instead, all MyOnlineMaps.com
subscribers receive new features and upgrades at no additional
charge. For example, in August 2007 we improved the Email Map
Images feature which is a feature that is included in all subscription
plans (Free, Basic, & Plus).
Can I share my username and password with another user?
No, only 1 user per license. MyOnlineMaps.com does track web site visitors by IP address and login times. We also have other security procedures in place to protect the integrity of the system and the confidentiality of our subscribers data.
Do you offer volume discounts for purchase of multiple licenses?
Yes, MyOnlineMaps.com is pleased to offer volume discounts to organizations that want to purchase multiple licenses. Multiple licenses are appropriate for organizations where multiple users are responsible for creating maps and charts for reports and presentations. For 3-5 users there is a 10% discount, for 6-9 users a 15% discount, and for 10 or more a 20% discount.
Do you offer discounts for educational institutions?
Absolutely, since learning is a core value of our company, we extend special discounts to educational institutions. Please contact us for more information.
What geographic regions does MyOnlineMaps.com support?
Currently, MyOnlineMaps.com supports only the geographic regions that pertain to the United States of America. These maps include: all 50 state maps, national state map, national map with counties, and regional maps (by state and county) for the northeast, south, midwest, and west regions. If you would like to request a specific geographic region, please send us your feedback via our contact form.
Do I need to be computer literate in order to use MyOnlineMaps.com?
Yes, users do need to be computer literate in the sense that they should be comfortable using the Internet. If you use other online services, such as Yahoo! Mail or travel web sites like Priceline, then you should be comfortable pointing and clicking to generate map and chart images at MyOnlineMaps.com.
Do you offer technical support?
Yes, MyOnlineMaps.com offers all subscribers technical support via email and phone. To complement our direct support, we also post tutorials and a user’s manual in the My Account section for subscribers.
What does technical support include?
Technical support is limited to questions that pertain to the use of MyOnlineMaps.com. Support is not provided for general or statistical questions that relate to a user’s data set. Also, support does not include creating maps for subscribers. Subscribers are responsible for creating and customizing their own maps.
Will my confidential data stay private?
Your data set is safe behind our web server firewall.
It will reside in your MyOnlineMaps.com account until you remove
your data set from your account. MyOnlineMaps.com will never
rent, share or sell your data set. If you are concerned about
privacy and security, please be sure when uploading your data
set to not check the Public Data Set box that shares your data
set with other users (MyOnlineMaps.com community). This feature
allows users to share data sets with one another. The MyOnlineMaps.com
system will warn you if you are about to upload a public data
set. For more information on privacy and security, please review
our Legal Disclaimer.
Can the MyOnlineMaps.com system be customized for my organization?
The MyOnlineMaps.com system for individual users can be customized in the sense that can upload your own data sets. Organizations with multiple users have access to additional custom features such as showing the organization logo on the My Account page for all its users. Please contact us if you have ideas to customize the system for your organization.
When did MyOnlineMaps.com become available?
MyOnlineMaps.com was launched on July 11, 2007.